En De
Total doses
People fully
% Fully
Pre-travel testing (vaccinated):
Pre-travel testing (unvaccinated):
Test on arrival (vaccinated):
Test on arrival (unvaccinated):

Full Restrictions:


All travellers

British nationals need a visa to enter mainland China, including Hainan Island, but not Hong Kong or Macao. Separate Travel Advice for Hong Kong can be found here.

All visa applicants aged between 14 and 70 inclusive need to make their visa application in person at a Visa Application Centre. As part of the application process, biometric data (scanned fingerprints) has to be provided. The Chinese Visa Application Centres in London, Manchester and Edinburgh are operating and details of opening hours are on their respective websites. The Application Centre in Belfast remains closed.

For further information on categories, and the process for submitting forms for those eligible, please visit this page on the Chinese Embassy website.

Biometric data may be checked/collected by the immigration authorities when entering China to register your entry to the country.

Since 8 January 2023, visa-free transit and transiting airside has resumed. All travellers entering into China must comply in full with entry requirements; there are no exemptions to this.

If you visit Hong Kong from the mainland of China and wish to return to the mainland, you will need a visa that allows you to make a second entry into China.

It is your responsibility to check your visa details carefully. Do not overstay your visa or work illegally. The authorities conduct regular checks and you may be fined, detained or deported (or all three).

If you remain in China longer than 6 months, you may need to get a Residence Permit.

COVID-19 Entry Requirements

From 29 April 2023, China has changed its COVID-19 entry requirements for all travellers entering the country. You must undertake a lateral flow/rapid antigen test 48 hours before boarding your flight. You must declare your negative test result by filling in the Health Declaration Form via the China Customs website, or through the China Customs App or WeChat account. Airline officials will no longer check test results. However, upon arrival in China your test result may be checked by officials at customs.

Passengers entering China displaying symptoms of fever, or with an abnormal Health Declaration, may be asked to undertake a rapid antigen test on arrival. Those who test positive will be asked to wear a mask and may be advised to self-isolate whilst symptoms remain (although there is no mandatory self-isolation for COVID-19).

Children and young people

Children aged 5 and under are still required to apply for a Customs Code Health Declaration Form and to undertake the pre-departure PCR test.

Transiting through a third country to arrive in China

Transiting is when you pass through one country on the way to your final destination.

Transiting through a third country to China is permitted but you are still required to undertake a lateral flow/ rapid antigen test test no more than 48 hours of boarding your final flight to China and complete the China Customs Declaration via the China Customs website, app, or WeChat account. This must be completed before boarding your final flight to China.

Registering with the Chinese authorities

You must register your place of residence with the local Public Security Bureau within 24 hours of arrival. Chinese authorities enforce this requirement with regular spot-checks of foreigners’ documentation. If you’re staying in a hotel, they will do this for you as part of the check-in process.

Yellow fever certificate requirements

Check whether you need a yellow fever certificate by visiting the National Travel Health Network and Centre’s TravelHealthPro website.

Working in China

You can only work in China if you have a Z visa - tourist and business visit visas do not allow you to do so. You must also hold a valid work permit. The local police regularly carry out checks on companies/schools. Violation of Chinese immigration laws can result in severe penalties, including imprisonment, fines, deportation, a travel ban preventing you from leaving China, and an exclusion order, which prevents you from returning.

Before you leave the UK you should contact the Chinese Embassy to check visa requirements. When submitting your visa application, and when you receive your work permit, check that the details are correct, including the location you’ll be working in. If they’re not, you can be detained.

If you intend to change employer once you’re in China, you should check with the Chinese authorities whether a new visa and work permit is needed before doing so.

Teaching in China

Teaching in China can be a rewarding experience, but before you travel it’s important that you research thoroughly the school or university that is hiring you and are confident that they are following the law. There have been many incidents of teachers being detained and/or deported for working on the wrong visas. It is your responsibility to check you’re working on the correct visa.

Check your passport and travel documents before you travel

If you are visiting China, your passport should be valid for 6 months from the date you arrive.

Read for ⌚️ 5 minutes 12 seconds