En De
Total doses
People fully
% Fully
Pre-travel testing (vaccinated): None
Pre-travel testing (unvaccinated): PCR / LFT
Test on arrival (vaccinated): None
Test on arrival (unvaccinated): None

Full Restrictions:


All travellers

All passengers are required to complete a  Health Declaration Form with their itinerary and local contact details.

As of October 2021, international cruise ship operations are authorised at the following ports: Esmeraldas, Manta, Guayaquil and Puerto Bolivar. However, there are strict guidelines and measures to comply with to obtain the relevant permissions.

Quarantine requirements

If you have COVID-19 symptoms on arrival, you may be required to take a rapid antigen test. If the result is positive, you will be instructed to self-isolate for 7 days.

If you are non-residents, you will have to self-isolate in a hotel at your own expense. You will have to give the contact number and full address where you will self-isolate on your Health Status Declaration Form. Compliance with the isolation requirement and your state of health will be monitored via telephone calls.

If you are a resident, you can self-isolate at home.

The Ministry of Public Health has published more information on coronavirus protocols and direct contact options (Spanish only).

If you’re fully vaccinated

If you are fully vaccinated, you can enter Ecuador. At least 14 days must have passed since your second dose of the vaccine, and the vaccine must be approved by the World Health Organisation.

Proof of vaccination status

Ecuador will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 recovery and vaccination record and proof of COVID-19 vaccination issued in the Crown Dependencies. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and should not be used to demonstrate your vaccine status.

If you’re not fully vaccinated

If you are not fully vaccinated you must present a laboratory PCR or antigen test, taken up to 72 hours prior to boarding your flight, in order to enter Ecuador.

Passengers arriving from countries whose regulations state that COVID-19 vaccination is available only after 6 months of having been infected, and who are thus unable to show their full vaccination certificate, will be required to present together with their COVID-19 infection certificate, an official document proving the above dispensation and regulation (valid for 6 months).

If you’ve had COVID-19 in the past year

If you are not fully vaccinated but have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last year, you can enter Ecuador. You will need to show evidence of a positive laboratory PCR test (taken more than 14 days and less than a year ago).

Visitors previously diagnosed with COVID-19 and who continue to test positive with a laboratory PCR test after a month, should present a medical certificate issued in the country of origin which indicates that they are non-infectious. This will be accepted as long as they are no longer showing symptoms.

Children and young people

Children under 3 years old do not need to show proof of vaccination or a negative PCR or antigen test for entry into Ecuador.

Children between 3 and 16 years old must submit either their full COVID-19 vaccination certificate, with at least 14 days validity, or a negative laboratory PCR or antigen test taken 72 hours before the flight.

See the requirements for travelling with children.

Travel to and from the Galapagos Islands

Travellers over 3 years old must present a full COVID-19 vaccination certificate or a negative laboratory PCR or antigen test taken 72 hours before their flight to the Galapagos.

For inter-island travel, all passengers over 12 years must present their complete vaccination certificate or negative PCR or antigen test

If you’re transiting through Ecuador

If you are transiting through Ecuador, you are subject to the same COVID-19 requirements as for entering Ecuador.


Airline crew members are exempt from Ecuador’s current entry requirements.

Check your passport and travel documents before your travel

Passport validity

Both visitors and residents must have a minimum of 6 months’ validity on their passport from the date of entry.

This is a strict legal requirement from the Ecuadorean government. If your passport does not meet this requirement, you will be denied entry to Ecuador.

Check with your travel provider to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.


If you are a British passport holder visiting Ecuador for up to 90 days in any 12 month period, you do not need a visa. If you plan to stay longer, you should consult the nearest Ecuadorean Embassy before travelling. On entry, you may be asked about your reason for travel, and asked to provide evidence of a return or onward flight/bus ticket.

You can extend your 90 days (only once) online by a further 90 days by paying a fee. If you wish to extend your stay, you must begin the extension process before the first 90 day period expires. For general immigration information, please visit the Ecuadorean Migration website. For general enquiries contact: servicios.migratorios@ministeriodegobierno.gob.ec.

For any other lengths or types of stay, including studying or working, you should consult the nearest Ecuadorean Embassy before travelling. For further details on visa applications for Ecuador, check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

The MFA encourages customers not to approach their offices without a confirmed appointment. For general guidance contact: consejeria@cancilleria.gob.eccitasvisas@cancilleriga.gob.ec

Get the relevant emails for other MFA’s Coordinaciones Zonales here.

Permanent and temporary resident visas are issued electronically (digitally sent by email)

Overstaying your visa

The penalty for overstaying is a fine. As with other immigration offences, if the fine is not paid, you will not be able to return to Ecuador for one year and your name will remain on immigration records. If the fine is paid, you can return with an official visa issued by an Ecuadorean Embassy overseas.

Arriving across a land border

If you enter Ecuador via the border with Peru or Colombia, you must ensure you get an official entry stamp at the border showing the date of your arrival. There have been cases of buses not stopping at the border, which has caused great difficulties for foreign visitors for failing to comply with immigration regulations. Travellers may be requested to return to the border entry point to get the required stamp and entry registration. If there is no exit stamp from the country you are coming from, the Ecuadorean immigration officials cannot give you an entry stamp, thus you will be denied entry.


All visitors to the Galapagos Islands should be ready to provide a copy of their hotel booking, or an invitation letter from a host if staying with a resident, upon entry. National and foreign tourists must also present evidence of a return flight, as well as the Galapagos Transit Control Card, to be filled out online at least 24 hours before the flight. Travel health insurance is mandatory for foreign tourists.The maximum stay in the Galapagos Islands as a tourist is 60 days.

Yellow fever certificate requirements

Check whether you need a yellow fever certificate by visiting the National Travel Health Network and Centre’s TravelHealthPro website. Please check if you will be required to present a yellow fever certificate to travel to your next destination from Ecuador. See Health.

Travelling with children

Under Ecuadorean law, children under the age of 18 born in Ecuador are automatically considered as Ecuadorean citizens, even if travelling on a British passport (dual nationals).

They, along with British minors who have resident status in Ecuador, will need notarised written consent from the non-accompanying parent(s) to leave the country. In non-straightforward situations due to a legal dispute, the child will need judicial written permission (Autorización de Viaje Judicial) issued by a judge (Juzgado de la Niñez y Adolescencia). If one of the parents is deceased, the other parent will need to submit the death certificate to a public notary, so that an indefinite notarial permit to travel with the child is issued. The immigration authorities are responsible for checking all the above legal documents.

British children (or British-Ecuadorean dual nationals) who have tourist status in Ecuador do not need these permissions.

Minors entering Ecuador with someone other than a legal guardian(s) do not need to present written consent. The obligation to check these permissions lie with the country they departed from.